Camden Athletic Club was formed in 1931 by the Rev Keith Brodie where competition first began at the Onslow Park Showground, Camden. The club was known as the Camden District Amateur Athletic Club and catered to young men and senior athletes. The club colours were Red and Gold vertical stripe singlet with navy blue shorts.
The onset of World War 2 saw a temporary halt to competition from 1941 until it resumed again in 1947.
The club also provided several runners for the 1956 Melbourne Olympic Games torch relay, for the leg between Camden and Picton. Runners had to be capable of completing a 6 minute mile to be eligible for the relay and take part in rigorous training schedules prior to the official event. Back then, the Olympic torch did not do ‘stop overs’ as it does today and it arrived in Camden around 1.00am to continue its journey on to Picton.
Unfortunately, the club seems to have disbanded at the end of the 1959 season before it re-established itself in 1975 as the club we know today. The club colours were navy and sky blue vertical stripes with white shorts. In that year, the club had a membership of 100 athletes. In the season 2012-2013 our club had over 700 registered athletes, making us the 5th largest club in the State.
This page is still being developed. Please contact us if you can assist.
The Camden Athletic Club would like to thank the Camden Historical Society for permission to reproduce these photos.
The (above) framed photo was presented to Rev Keith Brodie on the 30th September 1933 by Mayor Crookston of Camden after a day of competition at Onslow Park Showground. The day of competition and the presentation were made to Rev Brodie to mark his departure for India on Missionary duties. Rev Brodie is pictured holding the Dr F.W. West memorial shield. This shield was for competition between Camden and Penrith Athletic Club during the 1930′s.
This photograph (above) was taken of members of the Camden Athletic Club at Onslow Park Showground in 1936.